Sheesh, Landes! Get in the ring and start throwing punches after the ref has
sounded the bell why dontcha? Nice Rovian bit of stagecraft there!

I exerpt here something I sent Dr. Landes privately, for it is a pertinent
discussion for this list, having to do with the role of military conquest in
the spread of religion:

>The idea that [Islam] was "spread by the sword" is perhaps something you
>should research in detail >before committing to it. Perhaps, as is always
>the case in History, there's more to the picture. Also, >for you of all
>people to ignore the role of conquest in the spread of Christianity
>(Stephen I, Olaf >Trygvasson, Teutonic Knights, the reconquista, et al.)
>seems an inexplicable lapse.

So much for Christianity from 1000 AD onward...but how were the conversions
of entire regions handled by the Roman state bureaucracy? I imagine there
wasn't much conquest involved in those days, since the empire was on the
wane. But was there any coercion involved, or was it more of a bureaucratic
thing?

Thanks,

MP

to: [log in to unmask]