>Hi Wendy,
Great that you are willing to go ahead in great Yarmouth. I like the idea of
the three day approach with people coming for the days that fit for them:
different days for different functions. I do think that if people could afford
the time some ( eg me) might wish for three days: there was a suggestion last
time for n extra taking things forward day - but not everyone would be able to
take 3 days away from everyday life. But the costings and planning would make
the whole thing a bit more complex for you.

Personally I 'd be happy with September or October ( not August, for the
reason you said that it gets squeesed out by holidays); might be worth taking
soundings from clinical psychology trainees who want to be able to come  - I
rememebr becasue there were quite a few third year trainees helping organise
the Exeter one we had it a little later than previously to enable them to get
their vivas out of the way - but then people were dashing off on hols and new
jobs etc. Septemebr might be better.

Annie===== Original Message From The UK Community Psychology Discussion List
>Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I haven't heard any objections,
>either via the list or privately, about us organising the next conference
>over here in Yarmouth. I've been encouraged by the general level of
>enthusiasm about the prospect, and so unless there are any strong
>objections, I think we should go ahead and start planning!
>
>I have started to put together some loose ideas and am looking at themes and
>suggestions that have already been raised here through email. So far I've
>got an A4 document with possible themes & possible functions for the next
>conference, and hope to add to this over the next month or two as issues
>arise here on the list. In keeping with my background with qualitative
>research methods, I seem to be leaning toward drawing connections between
>ideas and looking for ways of pulling them together into a bigger picture.
>I'd like to come back to the list about a theme once we've been able to set
>up a group to organise the conference and had a meeting or two. I hope that
>we'll be able to come up with an overarching theme that can incorporate
>several of the suggestions that we've had so far.
>
>I'd also like to use the ideas that have been offered (and ideas yet to be
>offered!) to inform the structure of the conference. I think many of the
>potential functions that David outlined are compatible and could overlap. I
>think one of the things that happened at the Newcastle conference was that
>people came with different agendas, and that many of these could be
>accommodated within a conference programme that was pretty broad and offered
>plenty of choice. However there are some functions that seem less
>compatible, and so the conference could be constructed to enable choice.
>
>Three main structures come to mind at this point:
>*	We could have a selection of sessions peppered across a (yet to be
>specified) number of days.
>*	We could also have different days for different functions, that
>people could choose to attend if they want - so one idea could be to have
>the first day for more general and introductory stuff - the basics of
>community/critical psychology, how it fits with other disciplines, examples
>of community psychology in practice, etc. Then the second day we could have
>for the 'sustained critical debate' bit without having to explain the
>assumptions and basics. We could have a third day, as was suggested at
>Newcastle, for action.
>*	We could have a number of 'streams' going through the conference -
>with a focus on different functions.
>
>I'm very aware that each of these structures has potential problems as well
>as strengths, and that there are other possibilities that haven't crossed my
>mind. Still, I think there's plenty of time for that.
>
>Probably the most pressing issue for now is to think about dates. If we're
>going to have a conference, we'll need to book a venue.

> [...]

Annie Mitchell
Clinical Director and Acting Programme Director,
Doctorate in Clinical and Community Psychology,
University of Exeter

01392264621