Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I haven't heard any objections,
either via the list or privately, about us organising the next conference
over here in Yarmouth. I've been encouraged by the general level of
enthusiasm about the prospect, and so unless there are any strong
objections, I think we should go ahead and start planning!

I have started to put together some loose ideas and am looking at themes and
suggestions that have already been raised here through email. So far I've
got an A4 document with possible themes & possible functions for the next
conference, and hope to add to this over the next month or two as issues
arise here on the list. In keeping with my background with qualitative
research methods, I seem to be leaning toward drawing connections between
ideas and looking for ways of pulling them together into a bigger picture.
I'd like to come back to the list about a theme once we've been able to set
up a group to organise the conference and had a meeting or two. I hope that
we'll be able to come up with an overarching theme that can incorporate
several of the suggestions that we've had so far.

I'd also like to use the ideas that have been offered (and ideas yet to be
offered!) to inform the structure of the conference. I think many of the
potential functions that David outlined are compatible and could overlap. I
think one of the things that happened at the Newcastle conference was that
people came with different agendas, and that many of these could be
accommodated within a conference programme that was pretty broad and offered
plenty of choice. However there are some functions that seem less
compatible, and so the conference could be constructed to enable choice.

Three main structures come to mind at this point:
*	We could have a selection of sessions peppered across a (yet to be
specified) number of days.
*	We could also have different days for different functions, that
people could choose to attend if they want - so one idea could be to have
the first day for more general and introductory stuff - the basics of
community/critical psychology, how it fits with other disciplines, examples
of community psychology in practice, etc. Then the second day we could have
for the 'sustained critical debate' bit without having to explain the
assumptions and basics. We could have a third day, as was suggested at
Newcastle, for action.
*	We could have a number of 'streams' going through the conference -
with a focus on different functions.

I'm very aware that each of these structures has potential problems as well
as strengths, and that there are other possibilities that haven't crossed my
mind. Still, I think there's plenty of time for that.

Probably the most pressing issue for now is to think about dates. If we're
going to have a conference, we'll need to book a venue.

I am aware that we have traditionally (!) had the conference in October, and
this coincides nicely with Black History Month - around which there have
been events organised in Great Yarmouth over the last couple of years, and
hopefully will be again next year.  It is also possible to have it earlier,
maybe in September when the weather is (a bit!) more predictable, and people
may be more able to enjoy the proximity to the sea! I have also had some
suggestions to move it further forward to August, but am aware that this is
both incompatable with family committments for people who need to be around
at home for school holidays, and also is in the middle of the Gt Yarmouth
holiday season, when there is greater demand on holiday accommodation.

I'd really like to get moving on the venue as soon as possible, so are there
any other issues that need to be considered? What do people think about the
various options?

Wendy