-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Welcome to PEATNET
Date: 	Wed, 5 Oct 2005 18:22:16 -0500
From: 	Elizabeth Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
To: 	[log in to unmask]

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to launch PEATNET (Peatland Ecosystem Analysis and
Training NETwork) and to extend an invitation to you to participate in
this exciting new consortium.  PEATNET is a collaborative effort
designed to foster cooperation and collaboration across political and
disciplinary boundaries as well as to enhance the education and training
of the next generation of peatland scientists.

PEATNET is hosting a Web site (www.peatnet.siu.edu
<http://www.peatnet.siu.edu>) as the clearinghouse for information on
consortium activities, which will include training retreats, topical
workshops, a Virtual Resource Center for historically important
literature on peatlands, a handbook for peatland management, and popular
articles designed to raise public awareness of and appreciation for
peatlands.  Though it is still under development, we invite you to visit
the Web site and we hope you will bookmark it and visit often for
updates on our community activities.

If you have received this email, you are already a “member” of PEATNET.
Members have a variety of opportunities to participate, starting right now:

·     */Identify classic papers from the literature/*.  Which classic
peatland ecology papers are the required readings for our discipline?
The PEATNET Virtual Resource Center can and will become a storehouse for
important papers in peatland ecosystem ecology—especially those papers
that are out-of-print or difficult to obtain.

·     */Let us know what’s out there./*  Do you know of high-quality
popular articles addressing peatlands or peatland ecosystem ecology?

·     */Tell us what you want from PEATNET/*.   Provide us with your
suggestions for topics and locations for PEATNET retreats and workshops.

·     */Let other interested researchers and scientists know about our
network/*.  We encourage you to forward this email to others whom you
think are interested in PEATNET activities.  Having the full
participation of the peatland community is vital to the consortium’s
success.

·     */Communicate via the PEATNET listserv/*.  Recipients of this
email are already signed up.  If you know of colleagues who would like
to participate in the listserv, please have them drop Elizabeth Saunders
([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>).  An
informational email on using the listserv will be sent along shortly.

We would like to publish an *online member directory* that will be
available to all PEATNET Web site visitors.  If you do not wish to be
included in this online professional directory, please let us know and
we will exclude your professional information.

We welcome you to the PEATNET community.

Sincerely,

*Dale Vitt*, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, and

*Kelman Wieder*, Villanova University,

on behalf of the PEATNET Steering Committee

*/To opt-out of the online Membership Directory/*, reply to this email
and simply write Opt Out in the subject line.

*/To provide suggestions for classic papers from the literature, topics
or locations for retreats or workshops/*, */or to add your email address
to our list/*, send an email to Elizabeth Saunders at
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.  Elizabeth is
our Web Coordinator and will assure that your information, comments, and
suggestions are forwarded to the PEATNET Steering Committee.

--
Dr Lisa Belyea

Department of Geography
Queen Mary, University of London
Mile End Road,
London E1 4NS
United Kingdom

Tel: +44-(0)20-7882-2717 (slightly more than temporary)
Fax: +44-(0)20-8981-6276
Email: [log in to unmask]