FYI

Subject: Message from AHRC Research Review team

Announcement and (at the end) how to sign up for information

From Chris Rust, Judith Mottram and Jeremy Till

We are very pleased to tell you that UK Arts and Humanities Research Council has awarded the contract to carry out their first
research review to our consortium of 9 Universities

The aim of the work is to map research activity and research capacity in these three subject areas. The purpose is to inform
research policy and funding in the United Kingdom but we hope that it will be of value to the wider research community as well and
we will welcome contributions in the form of knowledge and data from any country where there is useful experience.

"Practice Led Research" has been used to describe a wide range of research practices and has generated many debates. Our task is
not to continue or to resolve those debates but it will be necessary to identify and describe them in order to carry out the
mapping work.

We need help from the research community and will have a number of ways for that to happen. In the UK we will have Town meetings in Jan/Feb 2006 and also in June/July 2006 to gather in ideas, experiences and case examples and to get feedback on our work as it develops. We will also hold an online conference, probably in April 2006, which will provide the opportunity for a much wider range of researchers to share knowledge. We also expect to use a questionnaire to check our assumptions and gather data on specific issues that we identify.

In addition we will be very grateful to hear about any resources in the form of literature or data that could inform our work and we would welcome short review or position papers relevant to the work. If you would like to offer such a paper please contact Chris Rust (

We will make our report to AHRC in September 2006 and we expect to share our materials and findings with the research community through a project website which will be set up in the next month.

We are currently advertising for a researcher to support this project, you can find details at
http://ntmizar.adc.shu.ac.uk/HRD/Vacancies/vacresearchmenu.asp The job is listed as "Researcher, Faculty of Arts, Computing, Engineering & Sciences".

If you would like to receive information about the project you can subscribe to our email list. This will only be used for messages from the project group to you so, if you subscribe, we don't expect that you will be swamped by email

Send an email to:

the message should say:

SUBSCRIBE AHRC-PL-REVIEW firstname lastname

(for example - SUBSCRIBE AHRC-PL-REVIEW Albert Einstein)

You will receive a welcome message with a bit more information about the project

Best regards

Prof Chris Rust
(Head of Art and Design Research Centre, Sheffield Hallam University)

Prof Judith Mottram
(Associate Dean for Research & Graduate Studies, Nottingham Trent University)

Prof Jeremy Till
(Director of Architecture, University of Sheffield)

DISCLAIMER:
This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University.

Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.