From: Accident and Emergency Academic List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris
Sent: 30 November 2005 15:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: How can we stimulate research in my region?

Hi all

I am an Emergency Medicine SpR at a university hospital. In my region there is very little research activity. None of the regional consultants has a strong research portfolio.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get research going locally? Here are a few options that have been suggested:

Make publications mandatory for Registrars to progress through the training program

Divide the regional SpR cohort into small groups (say 4 SpRs per group), each group taking on a single research project

Forge links with academic units at the university so that projects can be supervised by researchers with experience

Become involved with research carried out by other more academic hospital departments

Personally I feel that placing the onus for research on Registrars will lead to non-sustainable poor quality projects. Without close supervision and experienced help we will never produce more than the usual scrappy retrospective “audit with no cycle”.

Regards

Chris Kirke