From: Social History Curators Group email list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Baveystock Zelda
Sent: 27 September 2005 18:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SHCG-LIST] Fwd:FW: BBC2 daytime Urgent

This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message.
---------------

Dear all,
the following is a message from Jane Morris - I hope you don't mind me
forwarding it onto the list.  If you'd like to reply, please contact her
directly (her email is at the bottom)

Zelda

> [...]
>approaching nationals such as the British Museum, V&A etc (though we will
>include Liverpool and possibly NMGW). (I know you are a national but I think
>we can get away with it!)
>
>What Iım after
>The programme -which is a sort of hidden treasures/peopleıs museum type
>idea -is in 15, 1-hour parts, each one featuring 5 museum objects (75 in
>total). The public will be encouraged to vote/send their comments in to
>create a website featuring the top 15 objects to go on the BBC site. The
>series will feature a number of cultural commentators -for example, Neil
>MacGregor who has worked with this production team before -though these
>people arenıt fixed yet.
>
>Each object and museum will get about 7-8 minutes of airtime. Each object
>needs to have a strong story that will surprise, intrigue or impress the
>audience. The objects (which we want from a mixture of disciplines) would
>ideally have some of the following features:
>
>* be very significant in terms of quality, rarity (though not necessarily
>financially) - or very quirky (there will be room for a few more ³fun²
>things)
>* have a local and national significance (for example it could connect to a
>local person who is also historically famous/important -or connect to an
>event that is important in British history, or a movement that is important
>such as womenıs suffrage)
>* maybe have an interesting story in terms of how it came into the museumıs
>collection, or things that have happened to it in its lifetime etc
>* the object can be in store -it doesnıt have to be on show at the moment -
>it has to have an element of being a Œhiddenı treasure
>* not essential (but nice) even better if from a little or less well known
>museum
>
>At this stage, I am putting together a list to convince both the BBC and and
>the production company that this project is feasible and that there are
>enough objects with strong stories in museums (and churches, and other
>public institutions) that this can be done. Obviously, these will become the
>basis of the 75 objects.
>
>Can you help?
>
>I need initial suggestions no later than Friday 30th Sept - enough info to
>write 500 words setting out the story behind the objects. Iım sorry it is
>such a rush, but at this stage speed is of the essence. MoL did a list of
>few, this is ideal especially as you have more than one site.
>
>If you can point me to other collections that is also a help.
>
>Please call me if you have questions 07812 192381 or 0208 981 3999. (The
>project is being supported, though not financially, by the MA and MLA who
>think it is a good thing.)
>
>Thank you!!!
>
>Yours
>
>Jane (Morris)
>Former editor Museums Journal
>UK judge European Museum of the Year
>Freelance journalist, editor and researcher

the system manager.
All incoming and outgoing e-mails are monitored for the presence of
profanity and racist remarks, pornographic, sexually explicit or obscene material, and unsolicited content or spam.
www.mimesweeper.com
City of Newcastle website:-  http://www.newcastle.gov.uk
Newcastle Schools website:- http://www.newcastle-schools.org.uk
Competitive City:- http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/compcity
Visit NewcastleGateshead:- http://www.visitnewcastle.co.uk

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG.

To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST
LIVERPOOL - European Capital of Culture 2008

Please visit the official LiverpoolFC website at www.liverpoolfc.tv for the latest news, views, match coverage and goals.

This email and any files transmitted are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are
addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify

Thank you.