From: Virtual Learning Environments on behalf of Mira Vogel
Sent: Fri 14/10/2005 17:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: open source, open standards, free

Hello Adam, all,

> It's a licence to print money I tells yer - especially given Blackboard's
> track record of charging large amounts of money for 'simple' upgrades!

Is it? Doesn't look as if proprietary VLE companies can carry on the way
they have been, and this merger is testament to that. The lines of VLE
competition are being redrawn - before it was principally commercial v.
commercial, and now it's commercial v. non commercial (Open Source,
Community Source, at no charge etc). The companies compete for market
share, and the free VLEs compete for skills, time,kudos - which also depend
largely on market share. And market share - what does that depend on these
days - has anything changed in the 2-6 years since a lot of institutions
made their first VLE choice?

I'm very heartened at how non-commercial software is developing, but still,
every VLE needs some quality competition - I hope Blackboard provides that.
Very curious and wish I could see into the future.

Best, Mira