this os called usability in our discipline (HCI).
researcehrs in OU developed the pedagogical usability
concept. actually it was Laurillard who intoduced the
idea first, as far as I know. so the number functions
as parts do not define the usbility of a system.
usability means wasy of use i.e the need of the least
physical and cognitive effort to use a system in order
to enable learnability.

from a HCI point of view. the difference between us as
Interaction Designers and Learning Technologists is
that we actually co-ordinate the usability process in
order to have a system that works for you and only for
you, by involving all stake holders in the early
stages of design.

niki