Our model has been to take at least some of the best things about our
vaguely constructivist classroom practice and to use the technology to
make them available to our learners at home too. For example:

* Just as they are encouraged to talk about the things studied in class,
to share their insights, and to ask for help from one another or their
teacher, so on-line discussion forums, synchronous chat and messaging
makes this possible at home too;

* As in class when there's the opportunity for instant feedback on their
work, so with online assessment this becomes a reality for homework too,
at least in those subjects where this is practical;

* As at school they have the opportunity to access a range of resources,
reference material, reinforcement or extension activities, so the VLE
makes these availablt to them at home: we've taken the line of providing
rather than requiring, hopefully encouraging some degree of learner
autonomy and providing a more personalized approach to resource provision;

* In class, they have the opportunity to look back over the work we've
done, or to ask to go over something again, so by making audio and board
work available for download as flash movies, they can look back at the
lesson at home - and indeed any absentees can keep up with the class; and

* as in class we may adopt a collaborative approach to a number of
activities, so shared glossaries, some forum disuccsions and crucially
wiki pages make this possible at home too.

Miles.

--
Miles Berry
Deputy Head