Hi John,

I also had the impression from the discussion with ATLAS a while ago that
they were surprised that our SEs could not be regarded as permanent, high
quality, backed up storage. And I also drew the conclusion (as I think
did everyone in London Tier2) that the recommended way to flag a SE which
is not backed up and could go down for a long time if there was a failure
(due to limited manpower at the site) was "volatile". If several of us
thought this then there must be something in it, even if it is misguided.

To answer you Q: we don't think our SEs are less reliable than everyone
else's. Rather, we think other people are are not necessarily advertising
the true nature of their site. A Tier1 SE is so different to what a Tier2
site can provide. Some sites my have better support and facilities than
others.

btw This was in addition to the discussion with ATLAS about whether sites
could delete old files.

I think we do need ways to distinguish between the differing qualities of
SEs. I know for ATLAS, long term availability and uptime are important
factors. Disk vs tape (access time) is also important. The way forward
should be a quick discussion between sites and experiments of how they
would like SEs to be described, then update the Glue Schema, document it
and we will fill it in. If there is no forum for this, please set one up!

Cheers,
Simon

Simon George, Dept of Physics, Royal Holloway college, University of London
Email [log in to unmask]    Tel. +44 1784 41 41 85    Fax. +44 1784 472794