My original "novice" assessment -- that Spenser's writing is
less excellent when he is more actively seeking favor with the
Queen -- appears indeed to be an oversimplification. The
consensus among critics seems to be that nearly every detail of
the Faerie Queene may be a political commentary of some type. If
this is true, then there is no separation of the work into
sections that are primarily allegoric political commentary (the
parts I felt are inferior) and sections that represent pure,
unfettered artistic vision. The latter does not exist.

Is Spenser, then, like Dante? Surely it is a huge risk to weave
political details that for the most part are irrelevant for
future readers into a work the author hopes will be read
centuries later. Dante, working from a safe distance, named
names. Spenser, being paid by the Queen, writes in code.

Joyce too wrote in code / "no language", and used his prodigious
talent to write something almost no one will ever look at in
future centuries -- which to me means he failed. I had
previously considered Spencer to be of the same class. And
before people here kindly educated me, I considered Spenser's
and Joyce's failures to be of the same kind: caused by a
non-artistic ambition (Spenser to win a place in the Queen's
court in London, Joyce to out-write Shakespeare and be
recognized as the Master Artist of the English language) that
shadowed and in ways disfigured their art.

Now I begin to wonder what Spenser's objective was. Or if he
himself even had a firmly-formed artistic objective. The Faerie
Queene is hardly about a "faerie queene" artistically. The books
don't always focus on the individual virtues we're told each
book will address. It's like he just wrote whatever came into
his mind each day. Here Spenser reminds me of Joyce again: there
is a broad conceptual plan for the work, but the words are
spewed out in fits and spurts, such that the actual text isn't
always tightly bonded to the work's overall concept. Totally
unlike Dante, where each canto is rigidly fixed into place
within a highly defined conceptual structure for the entire
work, just as the stars are fixed in place in the heavenly
sphere...

Enough from a Spenser novice...