Here are the quotations for the next fortnight (October 2nd to 14th):

1. ...a spritsail broke out forward and a handy driver aft; and she threaded her way through the shipping to her berth at the quay as quietly as a veiled woman slips through a bazaar.

2. Imagine a respectable charwoman in the tights of a ballet dancer rolling drunk along the streets, and you will come to some notion of the appearance of that nine-hundred-ton well-decked once schooner-rigged cargo boat..

3. The low-sided schooner was naturally on most intimate terms with her surroundings. They saw little of the horizon, save when she topped a swell; and usually she was elbowing, fidgeting, and coaxing her steadfast way through gray, gray-blue, or black hollows, laced across and across with streaks of shivering foam.

Thw sources of last week's extracts (September 25th to O
ctober 1st) are as follows:

1.  (... 'I have found it ! It is here, up this ledge. Come you, one by one, to the place of my voice...')  This is from "At Twenty-Two" in In Black and White within Soldiers Three and Other Stories.

2.  (...' " Run her as near as ye daur", I said. "Gie me a jacket an' a lifeline, an' I'll swum for it..." ')  This is from "Bread upon the Waters" in The Day's Work.

3.  (...his eyes were cheered by the sight of one white buoy in the coffee-hued mid-stream...)  This is from "Judson and the Empire" in Many Inventions.

Good wishes to all, John R