I agree that Chambers'  idea that the plays spilled out of the churches and on to the town squares is long dead- outdoor performances on sacred themes clearly had their own history and my guess is that this needs to be looked for in histories of civic religion and secular drama.  However, I was speaking of something rather different- the idea that early church dramas/para-liturgical performances tended to be performed by and for the clergy, either as devotional practices or didactic ones, rather than for the laity.  Hence, *within* the church, they would be in or around the high altar, rather than in the nave.  The laity, if present at all, might be aware that a special kind of service was going on, but wouldn't necessarily have seen it.

However, since no-one has yet come forth with a source for my original assertion, and the more I think about it the more problematic it seems,  I'll assume I made the whole thing up and will scrap that particular sentence!  The mind can play funny tricks.

Laura

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Bill East
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: 15 October 2005 08:26
Subject: Re: church dramas

Laura Jacobus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
In the course of somethng I'm writing at the moment, I blithely wrote that 'most early church dramas were originally perfomed by and for the clergy in the privacy of their choirs, only gradually becoming accessible to the laity in the nave'.  Something of an oversimplification I know, but now I cannot find any reference to this idea, though I'm sure I haven't just made it up!  I thought I got it from Young's Drama of the M/E Church, where I thought it was coupled with the idea was that the dramas could be understood as a form of participatory devotion-  but can't find  it there now!  Does this idea ring any bells?

Laura

This very misleading idea stems from E.K. Chambers, "The Medieval Stage", volume 2, page 69 ff, "The secularization of the plays." I quote the famous sentences: "From ecclesiastical the drama had become popular. Out of the hands of the clergy in their naves and choirs, it had passed to those of the laity in their market-places and guild-halls." But don't believe it!

Bill.

Yahoo! Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html