How accurate your assessment is:  greed is the controlling force in the U.S. and, worse, every element of industry controls the "controls."  Uprooting this system will take some doing but with audacity and courage it can be done.  This will prove a difficult undertaking because no power broker voluntarily relinquishes any of his power.  Appeals to altruism will not work, unfortunately, until the power barons have created a crisis environment (not an "almost crisis" but a genuine "here and now crisis")and they have no choice but to confront the effects of their "policies of greed," and to themselves acknowledge that they must alter these policies.

The U.S. appears to me to have peaked after having soared to great heights as a consequence not of a thoughtful, rational government  and like policies reflecting a  philosophical concern for life and the quality of life of all men, or any other altruistic thoughts  but, rather, as a consequence of property.  We had an enormous chunk of land rich in natural resources and we could hardly have failed.  Now, however, for the first time in America's history, we find ourselves playing and competing on a level field and it is clear that our greed-motivated policies have failed to prepare us, either personally or on a national level, for competing or even surviving.  IIt is clear that the sinister forces in government that have recognized our changed status, rather than advocating philosophical growth and the requisite changes to ensure America's survival, are advocating that the U.S. control the rest of the world by force: hence we see the Star Wars-space weaponry being developed underground and the talk of "camps for dissidents," change from a welfare state to a prison state, etc.  This is a time when the U.S. policy can tip either in favor of a sane and altruistic policy for dealing with the changed status quo or, more likely, in favor of a policy of police control from space of all other countries.  Any bets on which course we will follow?  Again, we shall have to be confronted with the tragedy of our choices before we recognize the need for sanity in government and altruism in dealing with all mankind.