We have a problem of turn up rate for some tests for U19 (for example key skills) and need some incentive.  In effect we have brought in a statement on our learning agreements allowing us to charge for re sits who have no valid reason for no show (in one instance I phoned a learner who was evidently watching an England game!).  This behaviour must not be allowed.  The charge comes to my income but that is not the point.  Achievements are.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 20 October 2005 09:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Re-sits and Charging

Stella,

There is a danger in confusing re-sits of failed units with retaking a course.

I believe that there are two issues which need consideration.

If the student fails and comes back to take the complete AS course again, do you have a valid reason for taking them back, illness or family reasons for instance.

If you can justify the retake you will also be funded. Surely in this instance you cannot charge for re-sits because they aren't re-sits and the student (16-19) is fully funded.

If however, you extend the student to an AS course over two years, you will only receive half funding in the first year. In this instance, you would be justified in charging for re-sits as they are realistically re-sits of the same course not first sittings of another course. Sorry, that sounds a bit confusing but I hope you get my drift!

Suggest there may be legal implications here or at the very least problems at audit time.

I clarified this with a member of our SMT to check my understanding before writing.

Regards,

Ken Southward

Examinations Officer

Tel: 01925 633591 x207