hy christian

In my opinion there is no point having an si for all new builds in ALL circumstances as it means the general application of a blunt rule thus numbing its importance when we really mean it- thus we should try and have rules/guidelines to help us.

However I could see the point of having a less onerous condition that required a standard SI for all low risk sites... and that had supporting guidance on the scale of investigation needed- as a reality check. This would be similar to our approach to low i.e. virtually none existent gas risk for old pits. we say something to the effect of

either investigate and .... or build to BRE. its a fudge but at least every one understands what needs to be done- put a membrane in.

My problem is the diversion of finite effort. not the worthiness of the cause.

http://www.star.net.uk