From: "Catherine O'Neill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:49:04 +0100
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Ethics & consent form

Dear Tom
I saw your email  re ethics committees .  I do have some considerable experience of  getting access to a patient population. (In Ireland )
In order to get access to patients , my study had to get the approval of ethics committees. These are comprised of 10-14 people from various backgrounds( legal, nursing, lay person, managment) but mainly medical .  Before the ethics  form was completed I need to get the support of a medical consultant . Without this access was a no go area. So for me it was essential to get a consultant who would agree to sign the ethics form as a sort of guarentor.
The situation and procedures  in the UK may be quite different.
I am attaching a sample of my ethics consent form it is only one of many docs the ethics committee will require .

Hope some of this a help , keep up the good work
All the Best
Cathrine

------ End of Forwarded Message