Has anyone had a request to move Orthopaedic and General Surgical Registrars to a non-resident on call?

Our Surgical Registrars are now on a full shift rota so that they are EWTD compliant.  As a result, I understand from some of them that they get to operate only once a fortnight in some cases.  As a result, a request has been made to make the Surgical Registrars non-resident on call but within ˝ an hour of the hospital so that this means they will get better experience for their training.  This suggestion sits uncomfortably with me because of the possibility of either a trauma call with significant abdo trauma or a case such as a AAA coming in which needs an immediate surgical decision.

Our orthopods, suggested something similar about a year ago for their registrars, and we agreed to it as we felt that the need for an orthopod to take someone to theatre within 1 hour of arrival of a trauma call was low.  Therefore they are now non-resident.

Do any of you have non-resident genral Surgical Regsitrars?  If so, have there been any near misses or cases where management has been less than ideal?

Sunil

Redhill

http://www.surreyandsussex.nhs.uk

DISCLAIMER: Unless expressly stated otherwise, the information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute, or take any action or reliance upon it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender. Any unauthorised disclosure of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.