From: Accident and Emergency Academic List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Scott, Charles
Sent: 12 October 2005 11:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Smoke inhalation & lactate

Does anyone routinely measure blood lactate levels in patients involved in fires where smoke inhalation may have happened in the absence of any signs to suggest Cyanide poisoning?  Lactate is part of the investigation on the Toxbase site  (" If lactate concentration > 10 mmol/L in absence of significant burns and after correct of hypotension consider the possibility of cyanide poisoning." sic)

 And do you always measure CO levels in everyone involved in a house fire?

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely

for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.

The information contained in this e-mail may be subject to public

disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the

confidentiality of this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed.

Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author and do

not represent the views of Southport & Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust

unless otherwise explicitly stated.