From: "Rowley Cottingham" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: GPs Interface

The dinosaur twitches its tail! Adrian, we have been moving away from this
for 5 years with WICs, UCCs and ECPs. It has all changed. OOH emergency
primary care is nearly gone, and rightly so. It harks back to some golden Dr
Finlay era after the war when patients only troubled the doctor when they
only had a couple of breaths and a bottle of whisky for the doctor left.
People now want the health care they want and that health care when it suits
them. Doctors have sussed that most of the non-urgent stuff that the punters
want done pronto doesn't need their skills. So they have abandoned it - not
just GPs but hospital seniors too. So it all gets sifted now by paramedics
and nurses either on the road or on the phone. What needs to come to the ED
will, what doesn't gets advice or treatment.

I don't think its too bad an idea at all.

Best wishes

Rowley.