Sounds like you're in denial. Primary care OOH is already "dead in the
water" isn't it? Well, rather, we need to make what's left of it work in a
more integrated way with Emergency Care OOH, as Ruth is suggesting. You
can't educate the patients, they'll just pitch up to A&E, that's what they
do best. And even if you have a perfect primary care system in place, you'll
always have a large population in the inner cities who don't have access.
They'll keep pitching up to A&E regardless.

But looking now at Ruth's question, we have recently started a co-located
primary care OOH service, but our triage nurses are very poor at sending
primary care patients there. That surprised us at first, as they've spent
years whingeing about inappropriate attenders. Could be a reflection of them
never doing this for many years, so they can't get their heads round it now.
They're also reluctant to send early-in-the-morning A&E attenders to the
late-in-the-evening primary care service.

One other reason we're only sending about half of our potential primary care
patients to our OOH primary care service, is that it's not a "real" primary
care service. It's one GP in an ill-equipped room with no practice nurse. So
they are quite limited as to what they can deal with.

Anyhow, we're soon going to pilot having a practice nurse triaging
instead/as well, but I don't think a practice nurse would be very good at
triaging - or rather assessing - true A&E cases. In fact I think that would
be quite dangerous, but no doubt the GPs on the list will disagree! I
suspect we'll go for parallel triage at least for the pilot in the first
instance. I think it's just a matter of training and protocols to tighten up
our referrals to the primary care service, and the pilot with the practice
nurse would be the first step in that process.

And finally, those we do deem appropriate for the OOH primary care service
are NOT given a choice about it. That would be a disaster, I think, as many
would then simply "choose" to be seen in A&E. I can't see the point of
giving them a choice, as they're being sent to the most appropriate point of
healthcare for their needs.

Adrian Fogarty
Royal Free Hospital
London