[EMS-NEWS]

Apologies for cross-posting.

Call for papers, call for works
///////////////////////////////

Live Algorithms for Music Annual Conference and Concert
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Dec 19th-20th 2005, Goldsmiths College, London, UK
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The EPSRC-funded Live Algorithms for Music network investigates the use  of
autonomous computers in creative performance. Our interest is in  systems
that run live algorithms, that is to  say systems which  collaborate
actively with human performers - or other  machines - in  real-time
performance, and can do so without the presence of a human  operator. The
requirement of a live algorithm is that it should  participate in a
performance just as a human might, making apt and  creative  contributions
to the musical dimensions of sound, time and  structure.

The  network brings together performers, composers and scientists in  the
areas of cognition, artificial intelligence and computing.

We are pleased to announce that our special guest this meeting is Al  Biles,
Professor at Rochester Institute of Technology, New York. Al is  a Live
Algorithms pioneer, famous for his genetic algorithm jazz  improviser,
GenJam. Al will be talking to us about GenJam and  evolutionary music, and
performing with GenJam at the LAM concert.

We invite the submission of papers on any subject relevant to the aims  of
the LAM network.

Proposals for performance are also welcomed.

There will also be a session for short reports on ideas and work in
progress.

Details of LAM at www.livealgorithms.org

Please contact Tim Blackwell ([log in to unmask]) or Michael Young

t.blackwell at gold dot ac dot uk /  m.young at gold dot ac dot uk