Dear Peter,

At first, thanks for the beautiful , intelligent and poetic comment.
I decide to bite your virtual madeleine and ...

Perhaps in the future, instead of writing:
"...and the church and all Combray and its surroundings, all this that takes
form and solidity, city and gardens, left from my cup of tea." (1)

We that are living this experience should write:

...and  the digital life and all Internet and its surroundings, all this
that takes form and solidity, favorite sites, urls and lists, left from our
cup of ...

Also your associative web surfing reminds me this Bergson's  thought:

"At first we can say that memory is a survival of the old images, these
images will go to mix themselves constantly to our perception of the present
and also they can replace it. Because they are stored only  to become
useful: every minute they complete the present experience enriching it with
the acquired experience." (2)

Is not this what happens when one surfes through the Internet links?

Quotations: (Portuguese version - Unfortunatelly I did the translation into
English)

(1) ...e a igreja e toda Combray e seus arredores, tudo isso que toma forma
e solidez, saiu, cidade e jardins, da minha taça de chá. / PROUST, Marcel.
Em busca do tempo perdido, no caminho de Swann.. Porto Alegre, Editora
Globo, 1981.

(2) Digamos inicialmente que a memória é, uma sobrevivência das imagens
passadas, estas imagens irão misturar-se constantemente à nossa percepção do
presente e poderão inclusive substituí-la. Pois elas só se conservam para
tornarem-se úteis: a todo instante completam a experiência presente
enriquecendo-a com a experiência adquirida. /  BERGSON, Henri. Matéria e
memória. São Paulo, Martins Fontes,1990.

Best regards,

Regina Célia Pinto

http://arteonline.arq.br
http://arteonline.arq.br/library.htm