  From: Simon Biggs <[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
  Date: Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:38 AM
  Subject: Re: [WDL] art and its effect upon politics, economics and gastronomy

  I have also been to Alistair Little's little restaurant, a number of times
  (although not lately). I have always found his food excellent. Very simple,
  almost classic Italian, but exciting and always with a twist in the tail.

  My favourite dishes of his would have to include John Dory on a fennel and
  saffron confit, oxtail with an incredibly intense Madeira reduction, served
  on "wet" polenta and topped off with salsa verde and his red mullet,
  prosciutto and sage saltimboca, served plain with bread. This last dish,
  particularly, depends on incredibly fresh fish and the very best air dried
  ham.

  I would agree that his cooking is a bit 80's, but its quality, both in terms
  of ingredients and the care lavished upon them has, for me at least, led me
  to regard his restaurant as one of the most reliable and enjoyable in London
  - up there with Pied a Terre and the Waterside Inn.

  Whether he is up to the level of more recently opened establishments is
  another question? I have to admit that cooks like Giorgio Locatelli, Gordon
  Ramsay and Marco Pierre White have lifted the standard. However, the
  generation of cooks before them, which includes Little and others such as
  Raymond Blanc and the Roux Brothers, are still producing great food.

  Best

  Simon

  On 22.09.05 00:00, Lawrence Upton wrote:

  > I used to go to London restaurants a lot, when my cloth could stand the =
  > cutting. Once, in the mid 80s, we went to Alisdair Littles, courtesy of =
  > a rich in law, I think, and on the way home agreed we were underwhelmed, =
  > while around and about Soho we had had some superb meals often very =
  > cheaply.

  Simon Biggs
  http://www.littlepig.org.uk/

  Professor, Art and Design Research Centre
  Sheffield Hallam University, UK
  http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/cs/cri/adrc/research2/