Hi

This is just a brief request for feedback.  As you may know, Scottish Addiction Studies at University of Stirling offers a number of on-line courses.  We are currently considering putting together a postgraduate certificate on TC methodology and practice.  The intention would be to put together lecture material in on-line format which would cover theory and practice in all types of TC - NHS psychiatric TCs, addiction TCs, children's TCs etc.  In outline, tthe course would probably look similar to our course - PG Cert. European Studies in Substance Misuse  ( http://www.dass.stir.ac.uk/sections/scot-ad/eurostudies.php ).  That is, there would be two modules each of 30 credits.  The first module would comprise around 20 on-line lectures hopefully including some ATC/ EFTC luminaries as guest lecturers.  The second module would include a practice placement in an appropriate TC and an individual study project (dissertation) based upon original data  collected during the placement.  Those who wished to do so, could combine their study of this course with the PG Cert. European Studies in Substance Misuse giving them a postgraduate diploma.  In that case, completion of a 60 credit dissertation would  lead to a full Masters.

That's the general idea.  I have four queries

1.  Is there a general demand for a course of this kind?

2. Is the format outlined appropriate?

3. Would SAS be the right people to deliver it or would it send out the wrong signals about TC (and the course) being all about addiction?

4. Would TCs generally welcome such a course and be prepared to manage placements?

This is an idea which is very much at the drawing board stage. I would very much welcome your thoughts and comments.

Rowdy Yates
Senior Research Fellow
Scottish Addiction Studies
Sociology, Social Policy & Criminology Section
Department of Applied Social Science
University of Stirling

W: http://www.dass.stir.ac.uk/sections/scot-ad/

T: +44(0)1786 - 467737

M: 07960 - 403392

--
The University of Stirling is a university established in Scotland by
charter at Stirling, FK9 4LA.  Privileged/Confidential Information may