-----Original Message-----
From: LHC Computer Grid - Rollout
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rod Walker
Sent: 20 September 2005 20:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LCG-ROLLOUT] Removal of Files from Durham SE
(gallows.dur.scotgrid.ac.uk)

Hi,
I`m talking about Atlas Tier 1's, and these will have someone in the
atlas
VO. Anyone in the Atlas VO can replicate and delete Atlas files - tragic

but true. There are tools to do this and I`m afraid people need to get
their hands dirty.
I`m thinking the Atlas T1's must have some responsibility to service the

sites in their area who accept the Atlas VO, bearing in mind that some
of
those sites will not have local Atlas people. This cannot be done
centrally, and the Tiered system must be something more thatn a funding
construct.

Changing a site name, or root path, shouldn't difficult in either the
distributed or cental calalog model. It is made more awkward when the
host
and root path are buried in the sfn. I think this is still the case with

LFC and from a (laymans) Db design perspective is perverse.
Traditionally
you would  have a table, SITE HOSTNAME ROOTPATH, and only reference the
SITE in the sfn.

Cheers,
Rod.

Ps. The Atlas dataset location catalog will contain references to the
local LFC's presuamably by hostname. We should certainly have
table similar to the above so that host changes can be made in 1 place.
The full sfn is only stored in the site LFC and every entry would need
be changed if the host or path changes.

Pps. We certainly must use available disk space at T2's. I was refering
opportunistically used non-atlas sites with small disk allocations.

--
Rod Walker +1 6042913051