I meant write access to central databases.

The issue is not yet whether an experiment 'could' do something (there
are bone fide grid solutions like OGSA-DAI) but whether they have
actually got a solution to do it today. I hope that many things
suggested will be temporary until generic middleware provides the
solution so that individual agents will be temporary. One could imagine
new requirements appearing over time though so the physical VObox might
hav a long life.

Of course we all know that once a temporary solution is available the
impetus to provide a permanent solution goes away.

John