On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Norman Gray wrote:

> Folks,
>
> On 2005 Sep 12 , at 10.37, Peter W. Draper wrote:
>
> >> Thanks. Should I be worried by the report
> >>
> >> configure: WARNING: Use AC_PROG_FC with AC_PROG_FPP, instead of
> >> AC_PROG_F77
> >>
> >> when configuring CAT?
> >>

> > No. There was some discussion about this error message a little while
> > back. I seem to remember the conclusion is that it's transistory.
>
> The FPP macros are really designed to work with autoconf's FC interface,
> rather than its older F77 interface.  The difference is that the F77
> interface is for Fortran 77 alone, whereas the FC interface is for all
> 57 varieties, plus there's a not-quite duplication of the
> implementations which I think would make supporting both probably a good
> deal more work.  So, the FC interface _should_ be able to support
> Fortran 77 code, either immediately, or if necessary by providing
> [Fortran 77] as the AC_PROG_FC second argument (with an empty [] first
> argument).
>
> I remember, however, that Peter uncovered some f77/f9x troubles with the
> FC interface -- yup: [1] It's something to do with libtool tags, and
> libtool not completely supporting f9x yet; I'm getting a flashback.
> Argh.  Ow.
>
> Peter, could you bear to revisit this at some point?  I spent quite a
> lot of time yesterday with the autotools dev branch, trying to reconcile
> the code, the documentation and the tests, prior to having a
> pseudo-release onto our mainline and to Toby's colleagues, then
> submitting this to the autoconf and automake patch lists.  I'd hoped to
> knock it off yesterday, but It's not yet quite done (the docs and the
> implementation had drifted apart more than I'd thought); I aspire to
> finish that today.

Hi Norman,

wwwhay...

> There's talk on the Libtool list of trying really hard to get out a
> much-delayed version 2.0 soon, and there's a consequent feature freeze.
> Unfortunately, since I haven't seen any mention of the Fortran patches
> mentioned in [1], my guess is that Libtool f9x support will be limited.

Just downloaded the latest 2.0 tar ball and it seems to have support for
F77 and FC in it (side-by-side!). No idea when it appeared as there's no
log information.  Anyway I guess this is just now a wait and see problem
(it may be possible to get rid of the messages simply by configuring
libtool with F77 set to $FC, as the rest of the tree uses FC and once
libtool has the right tag setup, it should be happy).

Cheers,

Peter.