Dear All,

My name is Rinish Shah.  I am currently working in the Home Office -
Immigration & Nationality Directorate Corporate File Plan Project team, IND
CFP Project for short.

I have been tasked to develop a File Naming Convention for IND's CFP and
would be most grateful for your assistance.

I recently trailed the following convention for approx. 2 months:

DATE   Broad Title   hyphen   Narrow Title   Version   Author(s)

For example:

2005-06-30 IND CFP - Guidance on How to name & save files in the shared
folder v0.2 RShah

2005-06-22 IND CFP - Frequently Accessed Questions v1.4 LCampbell

However, the user feedback was this convention resulted in long file names
and placing the date first made it harder to find documents after they had
been saved.

I have reviewed the detailed guidance on the University of Edinburgh Record
Management Section website and now plan to trial the following convention:

http://www.recordsmanagement.ed.ac.uk/InfoStaff/RMstaff/RMprojects/AAPS/File
NameRules/FileNameRules.htm
<http://www.recordsmanagement.ed.ac.uk/InfoStaff/RMstaff/RMprojects/AAPS/Fil
eNameRules/FileNameRules.htm>

Title     DATE    Version            Author(s)

For example:

Guidance on How to name & save files in the shared folder 2005-06-30 v0-2
RShah

Frequently Asked Questions 2005-06-22 v1-4 LCampbell

I believe this convention will hopefully result in shorter filenames which
are also easier.  Before I start the next trial, I thought it would be
prudent to first ask for your comments and guidance.

Many thanks in advance for your co-operation,

Rin.

Rinish J. Shah (Mr.)

Corporate File Plan Project (IND CFP Project)

IND Change & Reform Directorate

*    Direct Line: 020 8196 3013 (Internal Ext: 33013 for refurbished floors
of Lunar ONLY)

        Temporary Fax: 020 8604 5814

        Personal Mobile: 07939 44 21 71

*    IND CFP Project, 12th Floor, Long Corridor, Lunar House

        40 Wellesley Road, Croydon.  CR9 2BY

This email and any files transmitted with it are private and intended
If you have received this email in error please return it to the address
it came from telling them it is not for you and then delete it from your system.

This email message has been swept for computer viruses.