Whilst on the topic, I have been trying to find examples of early (i.e. 11th
century or earlier) sundials from elsewhere in Europe, and I've been able to
find very little examples, beyond a distinctly different tradition of early,
freestanding sundials in Ireland.

Best wishes,

David
ps: For an excellent example of the kind of AS sundial I'm talking about
follow this link
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kroch/scand/kirkdale.html

in Greece.  I have seen some on Byz. churches in Istanbul, but cannot now
recall the general dating.  If you are going to Greece, I can suggest some
to look at.

DW

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]