Dear list members,

In surfing the web recently, I came across the following assertion at http://www.britannia.com/history/stgeorge.html: "The Acts of St George, which recounted his visits to Caerleon and Glastonbury while on service in England, were translated into Anglo-Saxon." To the best of my knowledge, this information is not recorded by Adamnan or Aelfric, nor is it included in the Cotton-Corpus Legendary. Furthermore, none of the secondary literature (Joyce Hill, J.E. Cross, etc.) makes any reference to these tales circulating in the Anglo-Saxon period.

That said, is there any truth to this assertion? If so, can anyone direct me to the sources? To date, the earliest record of St. George's association with Glastonbury that I am aware of comes from John Hardyng's 15th century "Chronicle." The association of the saint with Caerleon is more obscure and I have yet to find a definitive origin for it. The legends of Joseph of Arimathea and King Arthur appear to be the key but I have yet to find medieval texts that clearly associate St. George with these two important early British Christian sites.
Any thoughts or insights on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jimm MacGregor, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of History
Department of History, Philosophy, and Geography
Missouri Western State University
4525 Downs Drive
St. Joseph, MO 64507