Many thanks to all who responded to my request for information on the management of language courses on CD and cassette.  There was a magnificent response of 41 authorities, who sent me information on whether they charged for such courses, treated them as book stock or not and gave details as to loan periods.

22 authorities charge in some way and 12 of those charge according to the length of the course involved.  2 of those authorities stated that concessions apply for ESOL courses and children’s.

Of those authorities operating a free loan system, 2 do count these items as AV for statistical purposes.

Generally, there was no consensus as to loan periods.  Loan periods span from 1 week to 3 months for very long courses, but the most popular period is 3 weeks.

A wide range of charges prevails, from 50p up to £19.20 for long courses, all with varying loan periods.  The most popular range is £1 - £1.50.

Again, thank-you.

Maggie Stansfield