Personally I feel no choice but to try and do the right thing, futile or not. At least that way I can look my children in the eye with pride, and know I did what I could.

As Orwell once said (and I paraphrase) 'I should have been a vicar in a sleepy English back water, but confronted with the evil around me I felt I had no choice but to write.'

Regards
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Andy Ray Taylor
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 8:51 PM
Subject: [CRISIS-FORUM] Save the Planet

Hi all

recent research findings from the arctic and UK methane-from-soil
and Siberia seem to indicate that we have reached tipping point
on escalating greenhouse gases.

If that's true, we're beyond the point at which reductions alone
will be sufficient to stabilise the climate.

It's all very well to want to "do no harm", but when "serious shit"
has already happened, isn't it necessary to try whatever
remedies are available?

Andy T

Mandy & Andy Meikle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I think Chris K is right with his 'crazy' theory. Have only skimmed this but
would warn against techno-fixes in general (and earth-scaled ones from the
US in particular!) I mean orbiting space mirrors that deflect sunlight away
from Earth, or ships that intensify cloud cover to block the sun's rays -
and here was me wondering how the US could ever control renewable energy
once the oil's gone!

Also, Boris Kelly-Gerreyn recently wrote on this e-list:
As someone involved in oceanography, this suggestion of fertilising the
oceans with iron (or other nutrients required by algae) as a way of
sequestering carbon is UTTERLY IRRESPONSIBLE. (email was dated 3/8/05 if
interested in more)

Popular science says, "Before CO2 is injected into the ground, it's
compressed into what's called a supercritical state ..." - how much energy
does this take? More or less than launching mirrors into space? And remember
that CO2 makes oil less viscous so it'd be getting pumped into those
depleting wells no matter what state the climate was in.

"In this form, CO2 should remain trapped underground for thousands of years,
if not indefinitely". That's a bit of a leap there, from "should" (what if
it doesn't?) remain trapped for 1,000s of years to "indefinately". Think
we'd need to see some real science on that one! I'm no geologist but I
watched Earth Story and I think some of Bush's science advisors should too!

Techno-fixes invariably avoid addressing the real problem, in this case
unsustainable energy consumption. None of the perils address net energy
issues - what happens when oil hits £300/barrel & we can't supercool our CO2
anymore? Using evermore energy to try to work our way out of the current
situation isn't the answer. Albert Einstein said "We can't solve problems by
using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them" or words to
that effect - it really is time to think differently & fast! When will we
start exercising our brains on how to do that, rather than how to use oil
even faster?

As some of you know, I believe that oil depletion (peak of production) and
climate change are at the same level on the 'serious shit' scale. I think
the latter, to some degree, is being used to deflect attention away from the
former. I wish I didn't believe this stuff, really I do!

MM x

Petrodollar Warfare: Dollars, Euros and the Upcoming Iranian Oil Bourse by
William R. Clark (Friday August 05 2005)
(http://usa.mediamonitors.net/content/view/full/17450)

It's about Iran's plans to begin competing with New York's NYMEX and
London's IPE with respect to international oil trades - using a euro-based
international oil-trading mechanism and apparently beginning in March 2006.
[1]

In summary
Current geopolitical tensions between the United States and Iran extend
beyond the publicly stated concerns regarding Iran's nuclear intentions. The
proposed Iranian oil bourse (The word 'bourse' refers to a stock exchange
for securities trading, and is derived from the French stock exchange in
Paris, the Federation Internationale des Bourses de Valeurs) signifies that
without some sort of US intervention, the euro is going to establish a firm
foothold in the international oil trade. Given U.S. debt levels and the
stated neoconservative project of U.S. global domination, Tehran's objective
constitutes an obvious encroachment on dollar supremacy in the crucial
international oil market.

The report also says that from the autumn of 2004 through August 2005,
numerous leaks by concerned Pentagon employees have revealed that the
neoconservatives in Washington are quietly - but actively - planning for a
possible attack against Iran.

And that throughout 2003-2004 both Russia and China significantly increased
their central bank holdings of the euro, which appears to be a coordinated
move to facilitate the anticipated ascendance of the euro as a second World
Reserve Currency. [2] [3]

A successful Iranian bourse will solidify the petroeuro as an alternative
oil transaction currency, and thereby end the petrodollar's hegemonic status
as the monopoly oil currency.

Current geopolitical tensions between the United States and Iran extend
beyond the publicly stated concerns regarding Iran's nuclear intentions.
Similar to the Iraq war, military operations against Iran relate to the
macroeconomics of 'petrodollar recycling' and the unpublicized but real
challenge to U.S. dollar supremacy from the euro as an alternative oil
transaction currency.

The author believes that Saddam Hussein sealed his fate when he announced on
September 2000 that Iraq was no longer going to accept dollars for oil being
sold under the UN's Oil-for-Food program, and decided to switch to the euro
as Iraq's oil export currency.

[1] "Oil bourse closer to reality," IranMania.com, December 28, 2004. Also
see: "Iran oil bourse wins authorization," Tehran Times, July 26, 2005

[2] "Russia shifts to euro as foreign currency reserves soar," AFP, June 9,
2003 http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/7214-3.cfm

[3] "China to diversify foreign exchange reserves," China Business Weekly,
May 8, 2004
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-05/08/content_328744.htm

Author: William R. Clark has received two Project Censored awards, first in
2003 for his ground-breaking research on the Iraq War, oil currency
conflict, and U.S. geostrategy and again in 2005 for his research on Iran's
upcoming euro-denominated oil bourse. (Censored 2004: The Top 25 Censored
Stories, Seven Stories Press). He is an Information Security Analyst, and
holds a Master of Business Administration and Master of Science in
Information and Telecommunication Systems from Johns Hopkins University. He
lives near Bethesda, Maryland.