 Thanks David - interesting

I think the author has intelligently picked out the weaknesses
(from a public education
point of view) of the word "sustainable" and in the American
context "Real Homeland
Security" might be worth a concerted propaganda drive, to try to
undermine the
right wing hold on people's fears. (A bit like "tough on causes
of crime".)

I also like that she understands that in the end the thing that
will wake people up is that
significant climate change could mean an end to the food
security we have had for +/- 1-2
centuries.

Wouldn't it be great, though, to find something that would
inspire a whole generation to act,
not from fear, but from more inspiring motives, like Kennedy
did.

And isn't it hard to do that with climate change when poverty is
now so "sexy". Worse still,
if we succeed, there will be no "glamour result". Just a gradual
shift to more sustainable
societies. Only Joanna Macy could make an exciting epic out of
this kind of political work.

Perhaps we need to get her talking to large gatherings of 2nd
year students? Can anyone
suggest where to find such gatherings?

Andy Ray Taylor

Andy Ray Taylor is currently in Findhorn, Scotland and checking emails most weekdays. To reach him by phone:

URGENT AND SHORT MESSAGES
  (a) pager         07666 778016
  (b) text          07765 477305
  (c) office phone  0845 058 0537 (tue-thur 9-11am)
  (d) home phone    0845 058 0532 (or Findhorn 01309 692292)

LONG MESSAGES & CALLS
  Home phone - 0845 058 0532
  (best times to catch me are 7-8am and around 10pm)

from outside UK subsitute +44 in place of the first 0