From: The CETIS Metadata Special Interest Group
Sent: 26 September 2005 11:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CETIS-METADATA] [UK-MEG] Results of survey about UKEL

Apologies for cross posting...

I agree with Andy and Phil's conclusion that we should go with the
revised
14 level version of the UKEL.  In addition I also feel that this has
been a valuable exercise.  In particular I found respondents additional
comments very interesting as I think they highlight the fact that we
need to make
absolutely explicit what this vocabulary is and is not for.   I also
agree
that as far as useful next steps go we should consider reviewing the
mappings and agreeing definitions if possible.  I'm less clear about how
we should go about facilitating this though! :-}

While I'm here I'd like to raise another issues relating to UKEL.  I
think most of you are probably aware that BSI has launched a panel with
a view to standardising UK LOM Core.  Do list members feel that the UKEL
vocabulary should be included as part of this activity?  Is it
appropriate to attempt to standardise a fuzzy vocabulary of this kind?
The first meeting of the panel takes place in Glasgow tomorrow so any
comments would be very welcome.

All the best
Lorna