I am involved in a study at the University of Brighton funded by the JRF
that has looked at the changes in the residential and nursing care
population of the UK,1991-2001.

I am interested if anyone on the list can provide me with ideas about what
policies and social circumstances in Scotland might have resulted in an
increase in residential and nursing care during this period, when the
overall trend in England and Wales was towards a slight decline.

One idea suggested to me was that the large scale deinstitutionalisation of
long stay hospitals etc happen later in Scotland than in England and Wales?
- but I have not been able to link that to any policy texts or data yet.

I would be very interested to get people's views on this, especially those
in the social policy community working in Scotland.

Thanks.

Phil Haynes

Dr. Philip Haynes,
Reader in Social and Public Policy,