From:   [log in to unmask] on behalf of Rowdy Yates
Reply To:       [log in to unmask]
Sent:   Wednesday, August 10, 2005 10:25 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        RE: [TC-OF] International History of TCs

Edmund

Welcome back to the list.  In terms of the spread of drug-free TCs in Europe, there is a detailed history forthcoming in the Journal of European Addiction Reseach:

Broekaert, E., Vandevelde, S., Soyez, V., Yates, R., & Slater, A. The third generation of therapeutic communities: the early development of the TC for addictions in Europe. European Addiction Research. (accepted for publication January 2005).

Not sure when it's coming out - Eric might know.

Also, we have a piece due out in the next edition of the TC Journal about the late Donald Ottenburg.  That contains a fair amount of information about the early development - particularly the Italian initiative with which Don was integrally involved.

Hope that's of some help

Rowdy Yates
Senior Research Fellow
Scottish Addiction Studies
Sociology, Social Policy & Criminology Section
Department of Applied Social Science
University of Stirling

W: http://www.dass.stir.ac.uk/sections/scot-ad/

T: +44(0)1786 - 467737