On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 11:21:48AM +0100 or thereabouts, Steve Traylen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 07:42:31PM +0100 or thereabouts, Dr D J Colling wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A few weeks ago I was trying to do some CMS production the last stage of
> > which was to copy the output to the storage element at RAL....and we had
> > lots of failures in the copy. In the end we cheated and forced all the
> > jobs to go to the RAL CE and copy to the RAL SE.
> >
> > This worked (as you would hope) however it didn't seem to be very
> > Grid-like so last night and today I submitted lots (hundreds) of very
> > short jobs that just tried doing an lcg-cr to the RAL dcache. Most (a far
> > greater fraction a few weeks ago) copied the files successfully. Those few
> > that failed failed for two reasons:

I've noticed the BDII is a little bit stressed out.

http://ganglia.gridpp.rl.ac.uk/?c=LCG%20Others&h=lcgbdii02.gridpp.rl.ac.uk&m=%5Bnone%5D&r=day&s=descending

and there is a spike in the return times.

http://goc.grid.sinica.edu.tw/gstat/RAL-LCG2/BDIINode_Perf_tim_.html

Which corresponds about to when your lump of CMS jobs landed here.

http://ganglia.gridpp.rl.ac.uk/specials/pbs.php?h=OpenPBS%20server%2fcsflnx353.rl.ac.uk&m=%5Bnone%5D&r=day&s=descending

How many replications are we talking about per job here?

We can look into some load balancing or something if it just a matter
of speed but I expect it is blocking or something.... Looking.

 Steve

--
Steve Traylen
http://www.gridpp.ac.uk/