Offertorium – 42

Nowadays the service for the Easter Vigil is held on the Saturday
night, after dark, or at least after sunset. It celebrates the
resurrection of Christ, which took place sometime during the night (the
women came to the tomb ‘very early on the first day of the week, when
the sun had risen’ – Mark 16:2; or possibly even before the sun was
risen: ‘toward the dawn of the first day of the week’ – Matthew 28:1;
‘at early dawn’ – Luke 24:1; ‘early, while it was still dark’ – John
20:1.) They found that Jesus was already risen. The exact time of the
resurrection being unknown, it is considered permissible to celebrate
it at any convenient time during the night.

During the Middle Ages however, and indeed until recent times, it was
not done to celebrate a Mass in the evening, and the Vigil was
celebrated on Holy Saturday morning, rather incongruously, since Christ
had certainly did not rise on the Saturday morning.

Then, as now, the Mass was not celebrated until a formidable number of
readings had been made from the Old Testament. Formerly, the priest and
ministers wore violet vestments for the earlier part of the service,
changing into white only for the Mass itself; nowadays white is worn
throughout.

In the Middle Ages, and until the recent revisions, the Easter Vigil
was not a popular service. Whereas everyone turned out for the
‘creeping to the cross’ on Good Friday, only a few would attend the
Vigil, the popular celebration of the Resurrection taking place (not
unreasonably) on Easter Sunday morning.

A fire is kindled ‘de lapide’, from a flint, outside the Church. Why
from a flint? Usually in a church, a fire is lit from another fire.
That is to say, there is always a light burning, at least in front of
the Blessed Sacrament. One can simply get a light from it with a taper,
and light the altar candles, and from them the acolytes’ candles, and
so on. Handy in the old days before the invention of matches, when to
kindle a flame from scratch was a bit of a performance. However, at the
Easter Vigil there is no Blessed Sacrament reserved, it having been
entirely consumed the day before. Nor are there any lights burning:
Christ is dead, the Light of the World has gone out. The fire is a new
fire, not lit from any other. I understand that in the Holy Sepulchre
the fire is generated spontaneously, by an annual miracle. In the west
we have to rely on a flint. Something is made of this in the opening
prayer:

Deus, qui per Filium tuum, angularem scilicet lapidem, claritatis tuae
ignem fidelibus contulisti: productum e silice, nostris profuturum
usibus, novum hunc ignem sanctifica: et concede nobis, ita per haec
festa paschalia caelestibus desideriis inflammari; ut ad perpetuae
claritatis, puris mentibus, valeamus festa pertingere. Per eundem
Christum Dominum nostrum.

‘O God, who through thy Son, who is the true corner-stone, hast
bestowed upon thy faithful people the fire of thy brightness: we
beseech thee that thou wouldest sanctify this new fire, now struck by
us from the flint-stone, to be profitable to our service: and grant
unto us that by this paschal feast we may be so inflamed with heavenly
desires, that we may with pure hearts and minds attain unto the feast
of thy eternal brightness. Through the same Christ our Lord.’

Tomorrow we shall see how the service proceeds.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]