On Friday, August 19, 2005, at 10:46 pm, I wrote, apropos of the former
monastery church of Santa Maria del Patir near Rossano:

> Mosaic floor (incompletely preserved; mid-12th cent.), details:
> centaur and leocorn (horned lion):
> http://tinyurl.com/ay8my
> centaur:
> http://tinyurl.com/d8b9y
> lion:
> http://tinyurl.com/d4mu5
> leocorn:
> http://www.pianetacalabria.com/dicola/Fototeca/arte/opera4.htm

Here 'leocorn' was my translation of the Italian 'liocorne' used by an
ordinarily reliable (but popularly oriented, so no footnotes) website to
identify the image of the beast with two horns and a mane.  Because that
term is also sometimes used to designate a unicorn, and because its
French cognate 'licorne' regularly has that meaning, I was unhappy about
this but went along _faute de mieux_.

Diana Wright's recent recommendation (in another thread, "Cybele and
BVM") of Helen Saradu-Mendelovici's "Christian Attitudes toward Pagan
Monuments in Late Antiquity and their Legacy in Later Byzantine
Centuries," _Dumbarton Oaks Papers_ 44 (1990), 47-61, has provided a
better term for the animal depicted in this image: "tauroleon" (i.e.,
part bull, part lion).  That fits this two-horned, cloven-hoofed, maned
beast
http://www.pianetacalabria.com/dicola/Fototeca/arte/opera4.htm
rather well.

The _locus classicus_ for the tauroleon appears to be in the Earlier
Life of St. Alypius the Stylite.  Saradu-Mendelovici, p. 55, n. 91,
cites it from the edition in Hippolyte Delehaye's _Les saints stylites_
(Bruxelles, 1923; Subsidia Hagiographica, no. 14), p. 154, lines 8-16.
Henry Maguire, "The Profane Aesthetic in Byzantine Art and Literature_,"
_Dumbarton Oaks Papers_ 53 (1999), 189-205, esp. pp. 191-92, has a
summary that may be read online at:
http://www.doaks.org/DOP53/DP53ch10.pdf

Among later versions of the Alypius/tauroleon story noted by
Saradu-Mendelovici, loc. cit., n. 92, is "a similar treatment ... by
Theophanes Kerameus (12th century), in a homily on Pancratius, bishop of
Tauromenium (PG 132, col. 1001B-C)."  'Theophanes Kerameus' is a now
passé way of referring to the homilist Philagathus "of Cerami" (quotes
around that last part because it is not entirely certain that's what
'Kerameus' signifies here), the same Philagathus whose encomium of the
monastery's founder, Bartholomew of Simeri, was pronounced in this very
church about 20 years before the mosaic floor was put in and whose
encomium of Pancras of Taormina will probably have been read at the
Patirion every year in connection with that saint's feast.

Best again,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]