With respect to its being called a representation of the
Transfiguration, both links I provided are to course materials put up by
art historians (at Sydney and at Penn) who call it that.  A Google
search just now for [transfiguration Apollinare] produced 378 hits, some
of which may give you an inkling of how customary this view really is.

With respect to how I see it, a brief answer would be: Symbolically.

For an explanation of the symbolism, see this handout for tourists at
Ravenna:
http://tinyurl.com/9laxa

Best again,
John Dillon

PS: There's an unfortunate typo in my previous message.  Francavilla di
Sicilia's river is the Alcantara, not the Alacantara.