The real issue I am trying to raise is the lack of use of our evidence  base
to guide stock management decisions generally, leaving us hugely dependent  on
intuition.  Despite many attempts by a range of people over the years it  was
proved impossible to get the makers and shapers in our profession to pick up
this topic - I guess it is just too hot.

At the risk of letting this discussion move into the realms of Supplier
Selection (which in principle is not an issue for me), I only made the point  that
detailed analysis of existing stock must surely be essential for a  'supplier
selection' specification, because in my experience this is not the  case.  I
spoke at a CPI seminar several years ago along with contributors  who had been
involved in supplier selection experiments.  From memory  the main criticisms
about supplier selection  were about the difficulties  in producing a
detailed specification which would ensure supply of   the sort of stock which was
needed by users.  Again from memory, there was  a strong feeling that the sort of
detailed stock use analysis (and suggested  management action) which I was
describing would fit that particular bill rather  well.

Reading between the lines, I have the feeling (practitioners please  correct
me if I am wrong) that specifications for supplier selection are based  on
community and/or library profiles allied with discussion between librarians  and
suppliers.  These can provide additional information but with hardly  the sort
of detail necessary.  Suppliers still have scope for  interpretation and
while I am not suggesting at all that they would seek to  abuse this, the
specification needs to be much more prescriptive than in the  past if we are to
persuade more libraries to go down this route.

I have not come across any evidence that ongoing supplier selection is  based
on the rigorous interpretation of current stock use.  It still  appears to me
that in supplier selection as in library staff selection,  decisions are
still based largely on personal opinion.   No matter how  many members of staff
provide their opinions, this method of identifying  demand and potential use, is
a mere mouse compared with the evidence produced,  on an ongoing basis, from
our thousands of customers.   We have access  to a rich seam of information
obtained from our 'proxy consultation' - we MUST  start to use it.

Regular scanning of this list throws up lots of interesting topics which
though often marginal, prompt lots of discussion.  I do hope that this  topic
which is after all about how we operate our core service, will be really
fruitful.  Let's generate some heat (and hopefully some light will appear  as well!)

George Kerr
Freelance Library Consultant