Dear Hannah,

A few 'background' references that you may not have come across and in addition to the work of Alberti, Davis and Withers:

Carrol, V., 'The natural history of visiting: responses to Charles Waterton and Waterton Hall', Studies in the History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences (2004), 35, 31-64.

Hunt, S. E., 'Free, bold, joyous': the love of seaweed in Magaret Gatty and other mid-Victorian writers', Environment and History (2005) 11, 5-24.

Naylor, S., 'The field, the museum, and the lecture hall: the spaces of natural history in Victorian Cornwall', Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers (2002) 27, 494-513.

(and at the risk of self-promotion ...) Finnegan, D. A., 'Natural history societies in late-Victorian Scotland and the pursuit of local civic science', British Journal for the History of Science (2005) 38, 53-72.

and, of course, the classic text:

Allen, D. E., The Naturalist in Britain: a social history, London, 1976.

Hope that is of use.

Best,

Diarmid.

Dr. Diarmid Finnegan, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Institute of Geography, University of Edinburgh