Martin

Personally I think the term Modern is meaningless so I am quite happy to use 20th and 21st century and the fact that since the Palaeolithic period we have been using smaller and smaller sections of time I think its highly suitable.

                            John Hemingway, Archaeological Officer.
-----Original Message-----
From: Issues related to Sites & Monuments Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of NEWMAN, Martin
Sent: 23 August 2005 13:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Use of Periods

The DSU has recently made some changes to the PERIODS hierarchy used by the NMRs AMIE system (see below). We are now consulting with system users here before making changes to records. We would also like to consult other users of the PERIODS hierarchy especially HERs using our reference data (e.g. those using HBSMR). If your PERIOD list is brought into line with that at the NMR then the issues we are consulting NMR users over will be of equal relevance.

Regards

Martin

Martin Newman

Datasets Development Manager

AMIE Period Change

Recent changes to AMIE have seen the replacement of the MODERN period with the two periods 20TH CENTURY and 21ST CENTURY.

Additional regal periods of TUDOR, ELIZABETHAN, STUART, JACOBEAN, HANOVERIAN, GEORGIAN and VICTORIAN have also been added (or in the case of VICTORIAN been in existence for some time but not used).

DSU would welcome comments on how periods should be used/are being used to record POST MEDIEVAL dates.

For instance there are c.173000 records in AMIE which are currently identified as being POST MEDIEVAL in date. Of those over 36,000 have min/max dates falling within the VICTORIAN period.

Where a monument is known to have been built after 1837 but before 1901 does it make sense to record this as VICTORIAN?

A similar number of records exist for the GEORGIAN period between 1714 and 1830.

Two questions need answering:

  1. Are users happy with using 20th and 21st Century instead of MODERN?
  2. Should POST MEDIEVAL records be updated to VICTORIAN/GEORGIAN etc. where the phase is a construction/alteration/repair phase?

English Heritage is subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
All information held by the organisation will be accessible in
response to a Freedom of Information request, unless one of
the exemptions in the Act applies.

This Email and any attachments contains confidential information and is intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed. If this Email has been misdirected, please notify the author as soon as possible. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on any of the information contained, and all copies must be deleted immediately.

Whilst we take reasonable steps to try to identify any software viruses, any attachments to this e-mail may nevertheless contain viruses which our anti-virus software has failed to identify. You should therefore carry out your own anti-virus checks before opening any documents.

Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council will not accept any liability for damage caused by computer viruses emanating from any attachment or other document supplied with this e-mail.