I was interested in this question as I know that a growing number of
documents on the internet are in .pdf files.  I called the disabilities
group at our school and they pointed out that a Kurzweil  program of
recent vintage installed to a computer allows one to open the document
in the Kurzweil program and this will enable reading the document by a
voice reader.

I have also noticed that many documents found via Google have the
alternative of opening the document as .html via Google and this may lead
to a format that is usable for a voice reading program of text copy, it
can be tried.  This Google .html version is not the same as a regular
.html document as I have encountered problems trying to copy and paste the
document from a Google .html document that originates from a .pdf file
indexed by Google.

Finally, a .pdf file much of the time now has a button up at the top that
enabled one to after clicking on the button, sometimes called select, to
copy and paste part or all of the document and once that content is pasted
elsewhere, this would be creating a text file that should be readable by
voice reader.

One may also want to contact Adobe Acrobat and ask questions as they are
the software manufacturing force behind the .pdf files and they may have
some useful solutions to this problem.  Adobe Acrobat, as far as I know is
merging with Macromedia in the future.

Adobe Acrobat Contact Information
<http://www.adobe.com/misc/comments.html>

I am no expert in these matters and so anyone is welcome to correct me in
any or all of these observations.

This recent Net-Gold post may also be of interest here.