Good Morning All

re: Scientific Word, Workplace and Notebook v5.5 released.......Reviewer WANTED by MSOR Connections newsletter

Some of you may have heard about the newly released v 5.5.  If anyone would like to review any of the packages from a UK HE teaching and learning perspective, let me know (by return email to [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]) and I will try to arrange a review copy from MacKichan Software.

More info about the new features is pasted below or is available at:

http://www.mackichan.com/index.html?products/whatsnew55.htm~mainFrame

Remember you can always keep ahead with software developments via our TechWatch pages at:

http://mathstore.gla.ac.uk/news/techwatch.asp

I look forward to hearing from potential reviewers........Thanks........Robert S

> Version 5.5 adds the following features to the compatibility, typesetting,
> and computation capabilities of Scientific WorkPlace, Scientific Word, and
> Scientific Notebook:
>
> Compute and plot with MuPAD. In SWP and SNB, compute and create plots
> right in your document with the MuPAD 3.1.1 computer algebra engine.
>
> Animate 2D and 3D plots. With newly-implemented renderers, create animated
> 2D plots in polar coordinates, animated 2D and 3D plots in rectangular
> coordinates, animated 2D and 3D implicit plots, and animated 3D tube plots
> and plots in cylindrical and spherical coordinates and vector fields.
> Define an Animation Variable t for the plot and specify the animation
> start and end times and the rate of frames per second.
>
> Manipulate and inspect 3D plots. Rotate, move, zoom in and out, and fly
> through 3D plots.
>
> Explore plots and animations with the VCAM window. View plots in read-only
> or read-write documents using the MuPAD VCAM window with playback toolbar
> controls. Use your mouse to start, stop, re-run, and loop animations;
> change the animation speed; rotate; and zoom—all from the VCAM toolbar.
>
> Label 2D and 3D plots. Now you can enhance your SWP and SNB plots with
> text labels that move with the plot when you rotate or zoom. You can
> specify the location of the label within the plot both horizontally and
> vertically, and you can set the orientation of the plot precisely..
>
> Create 3D implicit plots. Plot equations involving three variables.
>
> Use completely revised instructions. The new edition of Doing Mathematics
> with Scientific WorkPlace and Scientific Notebook explains how to use the
> built-in computer algebra system to do mathematics and create plots
> without dealing directly with the syntax of the computer algebra system.
>
> Collaborate more easily. Now you can import the contents of files created
> directly in LaTeX or LaTeX2e into SWP or SW using a special non-SWP/SW
> LaTeX filter, even if you can't open the files directly. The filter can
> read many macro definitions not created with the program.
>
> Extend typesetting capabilities with new LaTeX packages. Take advantage of
> the many new packages in Version 5.5 to enable specific LaTeX behaviors
> and extend the program's typesetting capabilities.
>
> Get troubleshooting help. A new, expanded edition of Typesetting Documents
> in Scientific WorkPlace and Scientific Word provides more typesetting tips
> and tricks, new information about LaTeX packages that have been added to
> the program, and a brand new chapter on troubleshooting problems that can
> arise. Robert Surowiec
Information Officer
Maths, Stats & OR Network - part of the Higher Education Academy
School of Mathematics and Statistics
The University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham  B15 2TT

T: 0121 414 7095/7670
F: 0121-414 3389
E: [log in to unmask]

The Maths, Stats & OR Network is part of the Higher Education Academy, which
provides discipline-based support for learning and teaching in UK universities.
More information can be found at http://mathstore.ac.uk