Re: SHIP IS 2.5 TIMES WORSE - holidays
Andy

Suppose instead, people actually lived and worked in a way that
was joyful?  People working and living in ways they love
wouldn't need their holiday "fix" every 3-4 months. If they wanted to
be in the sun or experience a new culture, they would have the smarts
to figure out a way to relocate their work to another place.
(Certainly the Australian system would make things easier, but
I managed to organise a year out from work and go to Madagascar,
and a second year for France.)

Or if people really hate can't be happy without more sunshine
regularly, suppose they worked in the evenings and had the
afternoons free so they can enjoy the sunshine whenever it shines?
Or maybe just move somewhere sunny?

Its hard to see people working joyfully in dreary offices, production lines or retail sheds... and their opportunities for working abroad are also limited ("these Europeans come over here, steal our low-paid jobs and then moan because they have to work all the time - but at least we can lie around in the sun while we're waiting for some work, money and food"). Its also much harder for families to move overseas for a year or so, loosing your accommodation and disrupting your kids education. So perhaps foreign travel should only be for single people with the chutzpa, education and skills required... On the bright side, if the Gulf Stream doesn't fail then holidaying in Britain may improve with global warming :-)

Adam

PS its lovely and sunny today so I asked my boss if I could take the day off and go to the beach, but he said no.