This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message.
---------------

Dear SHCG members

I have been developing new ways of making oral history collections accessible to the public as part of my PhD research. This week I am launching my 'memoryscape' project, the result of several years of work. Basically these are two audio walks along the River Thames in London  that use recorded memories with many people that have lived or worked on the river. Edited clips are played on a walkman or ipod at specific places on the walk, in an attempt to relate oral history to landscape in an innovative way. Many of the recordings are from archives at the Museum of London / Museum in Docklands, a major collaborator in the project. Please see www.memoryscape.org.uk for details.

I would like to invite SHCG members who will be around London this August to come to a walk that I am organising specifically for museum curators and oral historians on the afternoon of the 4th August. The walk will start at 2pm from Greenwich in London and follow the Thames path to the Millennium Dome.

Attendees will be given a CD player, maps and a free copy of my oral history recording CDs. A pub stop can be arranged if it is hot! In return I am keen to get some expert feedback on my walks to use in my PhD evaluation work. It should be a nice way to combine some truly innovative social history with a walk and some networking to boot!

If anyone would like to come please email me at [log in to unmask] or phone 0795 729 4907 to book a free place. Likewise, if anyone would like to review the memoryscapes, forward this invitation  to others in the field or set up link from your website to mine, please do.

Best wishes to you all

Toby Butler
Royal Holloway, University of London

PS If you can't make that date, you can find dates of other organised public walks on the website, which you are also very welcome to attend.

Sent with "Me-Mail", Boltblue's FREE mobile messaging service.
http://www.boltblue.com

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG.

To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST