From: Sue Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, July 18, 2005 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [WDL] The problem of making 'art'

Lawrence, I appreciate your post and agree but will pick out just one comment:

> One final thing - I have noticed, I think - because it is often implicit - a tendency in this discussion to think of artistic expression as self-expression; and often it isn't, except tangentally. Self-expression is not necessarily art as I am speaking of it, in my non-definition

--- I think I agree – certainly self-expression does not = art, by any stretch of the imagination, but I would really appreciate it if you can unpack more the features of the ‘un-self-expression’?  I presume you do not mean a lack of subjectivity, since subjectivity is often a very potent starting-point. Can you say more?

sue

********** To alter your subscription settings, log on to Subscriber's Corner at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/writing-and-the-digital-life.html To unsubscribe, email [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and the following text in the body of the message: SIGNOFF WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE